Sunday, December 4, 2005

My first post

Well, here it is! I was checking out Amanda Carroll's baby blog
( http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=amandacarroll ) and I thought to myself, "My, now there's an idea. A means to communicate my thoughts on a regular basis. How fun." I wonder if anyone will read this...

Since I'm not pregnant, I'm afraid this will have to take a different direction than Amanda's blog. However, I hope to say something here from time to time that will be of interest until I can share wonderful stories about my pregnant wife.

Last night was the Rockets game (versus Memphis). I went with a friend, and unfortunately the Rockets never led. In fact, they trailed by almost 15 points most of the game. However, one interesting thing happened....

My friend and I discussed marriage at length in the car on the way to the game. I assured him that God was working things out for both of us and our time was coming soon. But you know how it is...sometimes it's easier to encourage others than to really have the faith to believe it for ourselves. I spent three quarters of the game praying in the Spirit under my breath, trying to regain my peace that God truly does want to give me the desires of my heart. Then...

During the third quarter, I noticed some strange activity in the seat directly in front of me. A young woman and her boyfriend we doing a lot of hugging and the like. Not really inappropriate..they were just loving on each other. It was sweet. Well, the next thing I know she is in tears and and her boyfriend is on his knees, cramped between his seat and the seats in front of him in the Toyota Center, and he's holding a ring out to her.

Meanwhile, at least four of his buddies are on their cell phones yelling that she had accepted, and the seats around us are arrupting in applause. She jumped into his arms, stood up, and faced my direction. Tears were streaming down her face. I shook her hand, congratulating her. Practically the whole row cleared out. They were out of there to go celebrate.

Now, the Toyota Center seats a lot of people. How many people do you think got engaged at the Toyota Center Saturday night? Exactly. I thought it was cool that God arranged it that they would literally have the seats in front of me so I could watch it happen! If we just take the time to look and listen, God is constantly speaking to us, arrranging circumstances to help encourage us. There is no such thing as a coincidence in the kingdom of God. Everything happens for a reason. And if he knows the number of hairs on our head, and a sparrow doesn't fall without Him knowing about it, He certainly knows where everyone is going to sit at the Rockets game.

I left encouraged. Wherever you are tonight, sweetie, you're covered in prayer.

Today was a somewhat typical Sunday -- I went to the 11 a.m. service at Lakewood. Pastor Joel spoke. He talked about guarding what we allow to go in to us (i.e. TV, music, etc.), centered around Matt. 12:35 which states, "The good man out of his good treasure brings out good things, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings out evil things." We have to watch out about feeding our minds (and spirits) with backstabbing and scheming and the like on the television. Goodness, I'm sure going to miss Survivor! It's just a game, right? What am I supposed to tell them now if they read my application, watch my tape and call me?

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it... Then, it was the Texans game. Can you believe what happened? You know, I understand they are just having a rough season, and that's understandable, but the last two weeks sure have looked Oiler-ish, if I can create a new term. They lose even when it appears they will win. We will believe for great things next year.

Chat with you again soon. Blessings, JT

No comments:

Post a Comment