Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Zoey visits and other thoughts

I just spent about two weeks watching my sister's miniature schnauzer here at my place while she was on vacation, and I didn't realize how much fun they can be to have around.

I let Zoey do all the things here my sister won't let her do at her house. She especially seemed to enjoy people food.

Zoey is the daughter of my mom's miniature schnauzer, Fritzi. My grandparents had a miniature schnauzer as well. My sister said Zoey can hang out at my place every once in a while but I don't know if that is often enough. It might be about time to get a dog of my own.

I was talking to someone about the photo of myself and my sister on my last post. I must be around nine or ten years old there (I was trying to remember when those "We Still Luv You Blue" shirts came out). I was a huge Oilers fan back in the day.

As a youngster, I remember watching Earl, Dan Pastorini, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and the others sitting on my grandfather's lap in Deer Park, Texas. My mother told me that after one Oilers playoff loss -- I believe it was the AFC championship game with the Steelers where Mike Renfro was robbed of the touchdown in the endzone -- I actually stayed home from school the following Monday because I was so heartbroken they lost that game. Silly? Probably.

Well, the Astros are struggling, are they not? Matt over at Channel 11 declared the team "dead in the water" this week on his video blog, but the last time I heard a news organization declare them "dead" they went to the World Series. Granted, they have a long road ahead but they’re not dead until they are mathematically eliminated. I enjoy catching Matt's vblog every morning.

Claudia Feldman did a nice interview that ran this past weekend in the Houston Chronicle with Lance Berkman on his walk with God and its tie to his life in baseball.

I like what he said about keeping an "eternal perspective" in regards to what he does. At the end of the day, it’s all about the Kingdom. Realizing that notoriety of any type, whether a believer is an athlete, a business person, musician, etc., is ultimately given for the purpose of directing people toward Him. As people see God’s life-changing power in us, and as believers strive to lift Him up and give the glory to the One worthy of it, He will "draw all men unto himself."

It was cool to hear about how many of the guys on the team are believers.

The Texans apparently loaded up on a bus this week and went to see the movie "Invincible" as a group. The game Saturday was very impressive again as a whole and I know the fans are excited about this season.

Have you been following this new trend of video blogging? I think we all should start doing it.

I find the whole topic quite interesting. I’ve read several articles recently on this new wave of Internet communications, allowing anyone the ability to broadcast extensively online with only a computer and a camcorder or webcam.

One of the most fascinating phenomenons on the Web right now is this site, Youtube.com, which allows people to upload videos. They now boast tens of millions of video downloads a day. Musicians are posting music videos. Companies seek ways to market products and services. Politicians are even getting in on it.

The New York Times had a piece on its website the other day that discussed the popularity of a couple high-school-aged kids that are getting hundreds of thousands of views on this simple wecam soap opera they are broadcasting to the world on YouTube.

These kids are apparently getting press outside the United States now as well. Yesterday, I heard about coverage in the U.K. However, there are some who feel this is not a "real life" drama, but actually a cleverly developed marketing scheme. No matter, you have to appreciate the creativity of either the kids who thought this up, or whoever is behind it. These kids are smart...like Einstein smart, or Newton smart.

I'm not sure the idea for the new Survivor season is too smart. We'll have to wait and see. Have you heard about this? The competition will divide contestants along racial lines. Yikes!

Haven't we worked hard enough to make people feel they don't need to compete with those of other races, creeds, colors, etc. in this country? Could this great idea possibly stir up dissension?

Maybe me and the Princess should prayerfully consider applying for The Amazing Race together someday. Fun!

Oh, yeah, no Princess yet.

So, I went back the other day and read over all my blog entries, starting with the very first in early-December. It’s good to revisit the genesis of something every once in a while to refocus on why you started it in the first place.

This blog is entitled, "John is Waiting for His Princess," and John will keep waiting until I have my Princess. Rereading the entry about the Rockets game was encouraging. My desire to fall in love and marry a woman of God is a God-given desire, and I will never give up on it.

Like the prophet Habakkuk said, "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation speaks of an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Thought it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and not delay." (Habakkuk 2:3).

I know this blog was a creative idea given to me by Him. It would be foolish of me not to stay focused and to not continue chronicling the journey. In fact, I probably need to find ways to expand this concept in the future. Possibly get on YouTube and vblog occasionally?

The scripture for today:

"And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ, developing and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you." (Phillipians 1:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment