Friday, September 15, 2006

Some reader's questions

OK, here are my thoughts from the last couple days, and answers to a few of your questions.

First, I was very, very excited to read in yesterday's paper that both Mr. McLane and Mr. Purpura (Astros owner and general manager, respectively) are committed to keeping Craig Biggio in an Astros uniform for next season, a season he says will be his last.

Click here: http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/4185682.html

I can't imagine him playing for anyone else, and it sure would be difficult to see him reach that 3,000th hit as a player for another team. It's going to be tough enough to see him retire.

Now, enough about next season...how about a run toward the post season this year? Are we still believing for that?

Of course we are.

I'm going to Minute Maid Park tonight with some folks. The Rocket is on the mound. Should be fun.

And surprise of all surprises! Lonelygirl is an actress! Turns out, there were several filmmakers behind this in California who most likely pulled off the most successful mystery in the history of the World Wide Web.

I cannot put a stamp of approval on the story line from this point on because I don't know where it's heading, but as far as the concept and creativity is concerned, they get an A+ from me.

The LA Times ran a couple articles early in the week, followed by this piece in the New York Times that explained the entire story behind this thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/13/technology/13lonely.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The actress is Jessica Rose from New Zealand, now living in Los Angeles...who just happened to do the CBS Early Show this morning.

A little digging on YouTube yesterday and I found she actually has a short film credit prior to this whole Lonelygirl15 project.

What did she play in this film? Please click here to see:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EugNIIr7QLw

Ah, yes. A bride.

As you can see, we always try to come full circle on this blog.

There will be no silly rumors circulating that I announced or insinuated on my blog that Jessica Rose is the Princess! I know how you folks like to talk. That's not what I'm saying here. But follow me on this line of thinking...

The Lord uses these things to keep me encouraged! The Princess is a promise I hold dear -- she's out there.

Aren't you, sweetie? It's just a matter of time.

Here's something else He uses to keep me encouraged and focused...His word!

"If you delight yourself in the Lord He will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:4).

This "bride" discovery may not seem strangely "coincidental" unless you go back for a few minutes and revisit my blog entry from March 18:

"Sitting on the counter in the guest bathroom of my condominium is a copy of Modern Bride Magazine. I didn't put it there. My younger sister did when she stayed with me briefly right after she graduated from college. However, I've never removed it. That magazine has sat there for almost 18 months. Trista is on the cover and she is just GLOWING with joy!!

When I'm at a grocery store and pick up a magazine, I often start with a bridal magazine. It's been that way with me for years. I love the image of a woman in a wedding dress. I like to flip through and look at all the beautiful pictures.

On January 18 of this year the Houston Chronicle ran a photograph on the cover of a bride having her wedding pictures taken. I ripped it out of the newspaper and it is taped to my computer at the office, along with a printout of Proverbs 18:22 which states: "He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and receives favor from the Lord."

That same scripture is on an index card, taped to my computer monitor here at home."

These are what I call, for lack of a better term, "Princess thoughts."

This might be a perfect time to answer some of you recently provided:

"JOHN IS WAITING FOR HIS PRINCESS... Is that what the Prince is supposed to do? If you read fairytales you see that the Prince fought for his Princess. He rescued her. She was waiting on him. I get the feeling that because of various reasons you are scared to approach a serious relationship. Just something that you might want to consider."

There are actually several questions here, but let me start with the last one first. I am in no way afraid of a serious relationship (I wish you would have sent me examples of reasons why you get that impression).

I absolutely look forward to meeting the Princess. My marriage is the biggest dream I've ever had, and I've had several really big ones.

If she needs rescuing, when the time comes, I'll rescue. I look forward to the incredible life we'll have together.

And yes, every man of God should be "waiting" for His Princess.


Question #2

What qualities do you look for in a female?

I really don't have a long list of things I'm looking for. She must love God with all her heart, and be purposeful in her walk. She has to be committed to partnering with me in handling our relationship God's way.

Sweet.

Crazy sense of humor.

Visionary.

Pretty feet are a plus.


Question #3

What's the most important thing God has taught you about yourself through blogging?

That it's OK to be me.


Question #4

Where were you born? Where have you lived? Would you ever consider leaving Texas?

I am a native Houstonian, and I love this city. I was born at Memorial Hermann Hospital (then called Hermann Hospital) in the Texas Medical Center just a few minutes from downtown.

I have lived outside this city on several occasions, and would do it again in the future if that's where God leads.

As for the past, I lived in Dallas for a short period of time while very young. I've lived in California on three occasions; Huntington Beach, San Diego and Barstow. I loved California.

I lived in Okinawa, Japan for a year as a U.S. Marine. That was fun.

Houston is home and always will be, no matter where the road might lead in the future. In the past, all roads have led back here. We'll have to see what He has in store.

The question in this season of my life really has become, "Where is the next opportunity?"

Question #5

Do you like dogs and cats?

I love dogs.


Question #6

What is your favorite Bible character and why?

Other than Jesus, I'll have to say it's David. David is fascinating. God said David was a man after His own heart, but look at what he went through and how he handled it. What a role model of faith.

I've been studying the Psalms a lot recently. I read some of it and think, Man, how in the world did he not throw in the towel.

Amazing tenacity and strength in God. He had an ability, in the face of unimaginable pain and adversity, to keep the praises of God coming out of his mouth. He saw purpose when everything was falling down, because he knew by faith he'd see the goodness of God in the land of the living.

I was reading a great article yesterday in this month's Charisma magazine named "Take Back Your Territory" by evangelist Joyce Rodgers.

She writes well about how David saw God's goodness, even during the worst of situations:

"David knew swords and shields get heavy and that warriors get weary in battle and sometimes have to retreat to regroup. He was sensitive to the fact that if everything had been left up to him he would have buckled and collapsed under the pressures that been heaped upon him, and consequently he rightfully attributed the veracity of his confidence to the benevolence and goodness of God.

If we are honest, we must admit we share this testimony of David and are cognizant of the fact that the victories and successes we enjoy in our walk of faith are unquestionably due to God's faithfulness. We rest in the security of the knowledge that no matter what the devil says or does, our Lord will move in our lives and will answer our prayers--our faith will be honored and not rejected. Yes, weeping may last for a night, but by faith we believe joy is coming in the morning."

Enough said!


Question #7

Where would you like to travel?

I have still never been to New York City. Can you believe that?

London and Sydney are the cities I'd like to see most overseas.

I'd like to go back to Japan someday. Lord willing, travel is in the plan!


More Q&A's later. Chat with you all later, I have some places to go prior to the ballpark. JT

No comments:

Post a Comment