Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Barry Manilow cannot compromise his beliefs

Elisabeth Hasselbeck is "dangerous" and "offensive."

These are the words of music fossil Barry Manilow, who decided this week that appearing on a television show with someone who might have a difference of opinion than him is something he absolutely cannot do.

Barry sounds like a principled man.

The problem is, his decision makes no sense. I'm not going to get political on this blog. That's really not my purpose in writing this post. I just want to point out an inconsistency that I'm seeing all too often.

This is the perfect example of how the "intolerance" frequently attributed to one side of the political spectrum is often equally as present on the other side.

Folks, no matter how differently we may see the world, at the core were all the same.

Barry was scheduled to appear on The View Tuesday morning. He said he was upset he had to cancel. "It's really too bad because I've always been a supporter of the show, but I cannot compromise my beliefs."

Well, I guess if you're a supporter of a show called The View, you should probably be open to the fact that people can have different views. That's what should make the show interesting. Apparently, in Barry's mind, there is only one view. His. He's wrong there.

A former host on that very show stated once that "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America."

In addition to being completely without merit, some might conclude those remarks are "dangerous" and "offensive."

I have no beef with the person who made that statement. I'm simply trying to make a point. We live in America, and we can all have differences of opinion (and share them), no matter how misguided they are.

It seems by canceling his appearance on The View, Barry is compromising his beliefs. I mean, every good, red blooded liberal believes in those inalienable rights we have...or they should. How about the right to live in a society that benefits from citizens that can see things differently? What happened to healthy debate?

Keep up the good work, Elisabeth.

And to think, I was actually considering voting for a Democrat for president next time. Forget it, that's apparently the party of intolerance.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Im tring to get in touch with you, whats up?

    ReplyDelete