Monday, September 3, 2007

Unswervingly

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful" (Hebrews 10:23)

Good morning and happy Labor Day.

I just felt like sitting down and typing out a few words this morning. I was reading that scripture this morning in a devotional I like to look at.

I'm glad we have the word of God, aren't you? There are a lot of things we can read each day -- newspapers, magazines, whatever -- and I often do. I'm a news junkie. I look at news Web sites each day.

But before getting your fill of some of the stuff out there, I recommend getting filled up with God's word.

God is our source of information about ourselves. He is the gatekeeper. Think about it...if a responsible news organization (and most are) wanted to be accurate in its reporting, it wouldn't go to press without talking to the source with greatest knowledge of the news event or story, would it.

No, of course not, that's Journalism 101.

Well, Serving God 101 teaches us that we don't develop ideas about ourselves without first going to our true source of information...our Heavenly Father.

You see, what we see today is temporary -- God's word will never pass away and it will never return void.

I giggle from time to time when I read something in the paper or see something online -- because often wordsmiths of all types go off half-cocked, not knowing fully what they are talking about.

However, don't we often do the same thing in a sense, trusting in what our unrenewed minds tells us about ourselves or our situation? The answer? Keep your mind renewed (Romans 12:2).

In those moments when this world fills you with doubt and unbelief, make sure you return to the truth...God's word.

Just my little thought for the day...

On another note, the kind mailman placed a Michael W. Smith ticket in my mailbox. Thank you, sir. I will take that on down to the Woodlands next week. God bless you, and thank you to the United States Postal Service for all your great work.

Now, here's a touching love song to brighten up your Labor Day. Read your Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment