Friday, November 30, 2007

Make sure you all have on your helmet of salvation

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6: 17-18)

Well, it looks like the Dallas Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl.

Granted, Favre did get injured in the second quarter of tonight's game against the Green Bay Packers so we can't know what he would have done for his team in the second half.

I read, however, the Cowboys were pretty dominant. Somehow this game got blacked out in the Houston market. I learned what I know about the game from reading Richard Justice's blog.

You know, I'm actually excited for them a little bit. Isn't that strange? In the days of the Oilers, admitting you were rooting for the Cowboys for any reason was a sacrilege.

Which brings us to Sunday's game in Nashville.

I know what your saying. John, will you just get over the Oilers?

Never. If you were alive, you remember where you were when you heard J.F.K. had been shot. Everyone remembers where they were when the O.J. verdict came in. And I remember precisely where I was the moment I heard for the very first time that Bud Adams was entertaining the idea of moving the team.

Standing at the payphone on the second floor of the barracks, Marine Corps Logistics Base, Barstow, Calif. I've never been quite the same.

No, I'll never get over the Oilers. I was crazy about the Oilers. I went through some family photos the other day and found a picture of me in a "Houston Earlers" t-shirt as a kid.

One year I dressed up as Earl Campbell for Halloween. That's tough for a 80-pound white kid to pull off, but I still insisted on trying.

Speaking of Earl and Oilers memories, I found this on YouTube.

I was just a kid and still remember this night in '78. Was this guy amazing or what? I'd been looking for a copy of this game against Miami for years on eBay, and thanks to YouTube, there are the highlights (including that amazing run at the end).

Oh, yeah, the Texans. That's right. We now have the Texans. And I am a Texans fan. And Sunday we get to see them go to Nashville to play the Tennessee Titans. That match-up will never be a regular football game to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this time. Texans-Titans have been interesting to say the least.

So what's all this have to do with the helmet of salvation mentioned above? Nothing, really. I just saw the Oilers' helmet and thought of that scripture. Let's talk about that scripture for a minute.

I'm saved, I've got on the helmet. I've got my sword, the Bible. I pray in the Spirit quite frequently. You should do the same.

Bless God! That was an extremely easy devotional to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment