Friday, May 9, 2008

Taking a few moments to honor everyone

I thought I'd drop a note today to honor you, my readers, and let you know how much I love you.

Pastor Joel says I should recognize the greatness of the people God has put in my life. If I had a spouse today, she'd be the best! If I had kids, they'd be the envy of everyone around.

Some of my friends and family are having a difficult time (or so it seems) with my present set of circumstances, so they are often honored and loved greatly from a distance. I believe this is with God's approval, I might add. This has been a good season for me to wait on the Lord, mostly by myself.

However, if anyone in my life doesn't feel honored, it would always be my hope and prayer that you would let me know so I could correct it quickly.

I honor and respect you so much, dear reader, that I thought I'd let you know that the posts of the last month or so are very real. I wasn't kidding, or trying to be silly. Was some of it a little hard to swallow? Well, hard to swallow or not, it's true.

From where I'm sitting, this is a serious situation, and I will wait until I hear from someone I trust to tell me that it isn't a serious situation anymore before moving on.

Lord willing, Los Angeles is the eventual destination, in case you are wondering (unless, of course, an opportunity opens up somewhere else that I feel the Lord wants me to take). Got a job offer for me? This would be a great time to let me know.

I really like the prayer section of Pastor Joel's devotional today.

"Show me how to love others the way You love me so that faith will grow stronger in my heart."

You know, quite honestly, as I examine myself today, I don't think love or faith are my problems. Joseph didn't have a love or faith problem either, and he still sat in a pit.

Paul didn't have a love or faith problem, and he sat in prison.

In that desert, Moses didn't have a love or faith problem; his problem was the people God had put in his life (I wonder how easy it was to honor them while they grumbled and wandered around in the wilderness).

David didn't have a love or faith problem, but when you read the Psalms he sure seemed like he wanted some people to fry.

I think when things seemingly don't go our way in life, we tend to look for a reason. Unconfessed sin. A bad attitude. Not honoring people. A lack of faith. Not showing the love we should.

Of course, we can always improve in any of these areas, but I think there are times we are in a situation for one reason only, and Pastor Joel mentions it: building character.

During a quiet time the other day, I asked God this very question. Is there something I'm not doing that I should be doing? I promise you, I'll do it.

I asked Him, Lord, what do you want me to do? Almost instantly, this dropped into my spirit: "I want you to trust me."

Doesn't sound too complicated, does it? Many are the afflictions of the righteous, the Word says, but the Lord delivers us from them all.

In that scripture, it doesn't sound like that's up for negotiation or argument. He's asking us for trust in His word, which never fails.

Here's something important for us all to remember: I didn't wait all this time for God's hand of healing and deliverance to be turned away without it. I will stand until this thing is resolved.

Again, if you're in my life and don't feel loved or honored, let's fix it. Drop me an email, and I promise with humility and repentance I'll make it right.

God bless you all.

Now, on to something else I noticed online the other day...

You all should check out my friend Rebecca St. James' Web site from time to time. Man, I want to honor her. She often has something encouraging to say about life in God.

She's apparently re-releasing her book, "Wait for Me," in the near future. Is everyone else asking the same question I'm asking?

How in the world is this girl still single? Here is a committed, consistent, successful, bright, beautiful, romantic woman of God. Are all the single men around her completely lost? Either that, or their standards are way to high.

I guess we could chalk it up to everything else in the kingdom...it's a timing issue.

I like what she said about God's people using their creative skills. I agree with her. We serve a creative God. Just read the first sentence of the Bible.

I believe God wants (and plans) to move mightily in the arts, bringing true believers into the arena of the arts and film like we've never seen before.

After reading the 5/1/08 entry on her site, my main thought on this is that sometimes the problem isn't vision or desire, it's provision and open doors.

You see, I'm not a coasting type of guy. No one likes coasting. However, one of the many things God has taught me over the past few years is that no matter how hard my head is, I cannot break open a door with it if God has chosen to keep the door shut right now.

I have a great sense that God wants to move in the arts/film in a big way, and I would be honored and privileged to have any part in that move that I could. But quite simply, we never know at the outset if we are just one of the many voices to help prepare the way or if we are ones that He will ultimately use.

In many ways Rebecca has always been a trailblazer, and I'm sure God will keep her on that path. I look forward to seeing the many ways God will continue to use her creative talents and gifts in the future.

I'm not silly enough to believe Rebecca reads this blog, but if someone who knows her does, I hope they will encourage her to keep praying for this mighty move of God in the arts, and to fan the gift He's put within her.

I like how she stated that we should we should link arms and walk together into our creative destiny.

Did I ever tell you about the dream I had? Check out my blog post from January 30, 2006. I actually went on that journey I mention there.

What I didn't tell you is that I had bought a ticket to opening night of the Rebecca St. James "If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something" tour, somewhere in Mississippi, I think.

My plan was to drive to Mississippi, catch the show and then go camping for a few days by myself to get alone with the Lord.

Why would I drive to Mississippi to catch a Rebecca St. James show? Well, at the time I thought I was going to marry her, and that's how you honor the person you believe is your spouse, right? You show up, unannounced, at the opening date of her tour several states away and smile at her from the audience.

Well, that will either get you engaged or you may have to put up with a inconvenient restraining order.

Luckily for all of us, I was in my office at the legendary Methodist Hospital in Houston about to run out to go home and pack, when the phone rang. I picked up the phone and was told by iTickets that the show in Mississippi had been canceled.

However, I still had asked for several days off from work, so I decided to go ahead and go camping at a Texas state park. I got out there and nothing went right. There was a burn ban, so I couldn't start a fire. And it was cold out there!

Lord, speak to me. I broke out my Bible and a flashlight, determined to hear from God. I remember thinking, I drove all the way out here to hear from you and I'm cold, it's dark, and the concert got canceled.

Then I fell asleep in the tent. I had a dream I was backstage at an event. I think it was a concert. I was talking to a group of people and I noticed that Rebecca St. James was across the room from me. We made eye contact, and as she moved around the room we kept making eye contact.

She walked passed me at one point, and I stopped her.

"Sorry to stare," I said. "You're just the rock star I've been wanting to meet."

She laughed. "Oh, it's because I'm a rock star, huh? And all this time I've thought it was because of my mind."

I'm not sure what she meant by that. It's a dream. It's not supposed to make perfect sense. But that's what she said.

We both laughed. "Let's get out of here and go talk about it," I said.

We put our arms around each other and walked out of the building together arm in arm.

Who knows, maybe we were walking out of that building into the creative destiny God has called us to?

Listen girl, if that's a script you're reading in this photograph, please have your people Xerox it and mark the part I'm supposed to read for. I'm like you. I'm not a coasting kind of guy.

By the way, how was your parking experience at Lakewood last weekend? I know there were probably some clowns out there with stop watches Sunday to see if I had made that up or exaggerated, but I assure you I did neither.

That's where I started parking shortly after the move to the former Compaq Center. When you drive nearly 45 minutes both ways to church, you find yourself trying to get creative in the parking garage. Hey, maybe that's part of my creative destiny.

No one should be angry about that post. Pastor Joel always said the favor of God includes good parking spots. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, brother! God, what is it you want me to do? "Trust Me," He says! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete