Friday, January 2, 2009

My New Year's Resolution

"The eternal God is your shelter, and his everlasting arms support you. He will force your enemies out of your way and tell you to destroy them" (Deuteronomy 33:27).

I think my New Year's resolution is going to be to read more of the Old Testament.

I just love God's personality in the Old Testament, don't you? He didn't really have a lot of patience with goofiness and folks who wanted to threaten, lie about, and challenge the people of God. We've got a lot of that garbage going on these days, don't we?

I think we could learn a lot by reading more of the Old Testament. Not only does it have pretty cool stories, but you can always find great promises about God's protection of his own.

"Let those who seek my life be put to shame and disgrace. Let those who plot evil against me be turned back and confounded. Make them like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the LORD driving them on. Make their way slippery and dark, with the angel of the LORD pursuing them. Without cause they set their snare for me; without cause they dug a pit for me. Let ruin overtake them unawares; let the snare they have set catch them; let them fall into the pit they have dug" (Psalm 35: 4-8).

Can I hear a loud, resounding "Amen!" I love that. It's like David is through with putting up with these criminals and maggots, right? What is most impressive about this piece of scripture is that David is known as a man after God's own heart. I like David. He really had his head on straight, and his heart was soft and tender in the hands of the master. That's why I like him so much.

Let's read more of God's word this year. Hey, if it's important enough for the comedians running the Houston Chronicle Web site to get us reading the Bible, then it must be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment