Thursday, March 5, 2009

Separating fact from fiction

Whether I like it or not at times, being threatened with murder by state leaders and standing up against it has gained me some level of notoriety. With notoriety often comes information that is either completely in error or partially in error when concerning who I am now or who I was in the past. Let's go ahead and separate fact from fiction.

As you've heard if you've followed my story, one of the institutions I've had to stand up against is the media. I'm sure there are good people in the news business, they are just becoming more and more rare. Instead of searching for facts and asking for proof, they will make assumptions based on innuendo and rumor and then try to ruin someones life with it.

They might have succeeded in my case if they hadn't come up against a man like me, who frankly is smarter than them, more talented than them, and has the Living God on my side. That's not falling short, friends. Victory is mine.

I wanted to list a few facts so you all know the truth about my situation, in case through misinformation you might have formulated thoughts or feelings that are not accurate. If people in the media had bothered to do their job in my case, here are a few questions I might have anticipated them asking.

Q: We have heard that you're a party animal, a wild and crazy alcoholic and drug addict who is out-of-control, and that is really the reason you are in the situation you're in now.

A: Prior to serving Christ, I definitely would have been described by those who knew me as a partier. I drank alcohol quite a bit recreationally, and without being more specific I will tell you that I have used substances other than alcohol for the purposes of intoxication. I'm not proud of that, but it's a truth I'm not going to deny.

I think the best way to handle it is to let people know that Jesus Christ set me free years ago and today I don't even have a beer or glass of wine occasionally with a meal. In fact, it's been years since I've even had a sip of alcohol.

All my problems of this nature in the past were confessed at the proper time to Christian friends and people in spiritual authority in my life, to help keep me accountable. There are no big secrets that I'm trying to hide.

Q: Well, hold on a minute, John. We heard that someone has photographs of you doing something illegal.

A: If someone told you that with a straight face, I'm calling them a liar. I'm not saying I've never broke a law, but I am saying I never did it in front of a camera. If you want to make false accusations like that one, you best be ready to get the police involved. (I won't wait up late for them to knock on the door, because that's goofy.) Now, there might be photos of me partying that are out there somewhere, but that's the best you all can hope for if someone is looking to hurt me. Seriously.

If you think you can hold me hostage with something that doesn't exist, guess again. If you imply it again, you better be ready to defend it in court.

Q: Are you denying you used to hang out at Numbers?

A: Friends, I went to Numbers for the first time in 1988, and I continued to go to Numbers sporadically up until I stopped clubbing several years ago. Me being at Numbers is not news. It was my favorite nightclub, simply because the music is unmatched. I mean, just listen to this song, so full of great ministers of the Gospel! In fact, I hope Wes plays it Friday night in my honor. I've probably been to Numbers hundreds of times, and I could probably find photos of me at Numbers around here if you're really interested in seeing me at Numbers. It's time for us all to get past that one. Goofy.

Q: I heard you're quite a ladies man. A real womanizer. How do you respond to that?

A: Well, you tell me: I haven't even kissed anyone on the lips in seven or eight years. I haven't dated, or taken a girl on out on a date, even as a friend, since I lived in Galveston, and that was in 2001 or something like that. Even before Christ, I was never the kind of guy that went out with lots of females.

Even when I was running from God, I've had a pretty strong feeling that He had set apart a particular woman for me, and because of that my dating has always been very minimal. I'm not against dating, but I have always had the policy that it doesn't make sense to date someone who you ultimately couldn't see yourself married to. If that's a womanizer, maybe I need to redefine my terms, but I honestly don't think I am or ever was.

These are the ones that are most important for me to address right now. More may come later. If you have heard something about me that you'd like me to answer, please feel free to email me.

Here are the facts: I'm a born again Christian who is not perfect but I'm trying as hard as I can...and I have been for years. Anyone who tells you differently, or implies differently, is revealing less about me than they are about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment