Sunday, June 16, 2013

The drive to Los Angeles, including The Thing in Arizona! (photos included)

Sonora, Texas, is a wonderful place to fill the gas tank and purchase a soda or cup of coffee at the convenience store. There isn't much in Sonora, I don't think, but they do have friendly people and great rooms. I hear the steaks are pretty good, as well. I may have to stop in again some time and eat some that of that beef!



The first heavy rain of the journey occurred as I approached El Paso. I love rain on a long journey. You just slow down a little bit to stay safe, and enjoy the change in scenery. Gray and dreary can actually be beautiful at times. El Paso is a very nice town.


This is one of the best billboard marketing campaigns I've encountered on a road trip. The Thing in Arizona teases with many mysterious billboards over hundreds of miles of highway. Stop there to eat or shop, and take the $1 tour. They have some really cool stuff, and they have The Thing. Seriously, what is that damn thing?



Here's the store from the outside...



This is an example of the stuff featured in the museum. They display real relics from the past, many of which had me wondering about their actual value. Some of the stuff should probably be in the Smithsonian or some place like that. The two old, crotchety looking fruitcakes pictured here add a lot to this display of a 1937 Rolls Royce, thought to have been used by Adolf Hitler.



Mystery of the Desert. What is it? Looks like a dead corpse to me, but you might have other thoughts.


Here's a close up of the The Thing's face. Freaky.



I took this photo somewhere in Texas. Much of the stretch of highway between San Antonio and El Paso looks just like this. Hours and hours of asphalt and desert. The drive from Houston to southern California is one I've undertook many times over the years. This is a road trip I thoroughly enjoy. The drive seemed quicker and more enjoyable this time than ever before.  I reckon I'll drive this stretch of highway, either westbound or eastbound, many times in the future. Miles and miles of smiles!


I'm now in the Los Angeles area, relaxing in a room just east of the city. Keep an eye on my Twitter for updates. Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I begged Dad to stop on the numerous trips through AZ and after more than a decade of nagging and recounting of my many disappointments in the South West, he caved (Dairy Queen not enough?)!
    The Thing was only $1 thank god.;) Personally obsessed with truckstops and Curios. Sonoro is super dog-friendly (even big dog). El Paso is underrated and friendly. The Things Billboards need to be restored and placed in some kind of South West Billboard Museum, like Freemont St (Vegas).
    P.S. A $1 well spent, would be a visit with Hercules the Giant Horse (Belgian Draft)! Always at San Diego County Fair! Luv this Blog!

    ReplyDelete